-
January 20th, 2007, 12:15 AM
#11
Senior Hostboard Member
Originally posted by Bass Pig:
Hi Jammin Jungle Jim,
Yes, those videos are real. Some folks thought they were contrived, with an off-camera fan. They are not.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Greets!
Care to comment? http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...85#post1111985
GM
-
January 20th, 2007, 01:00 AM
#12
Inactive Member
He can say what he wants. And I had to stuff the pillows into the vents on the EVX180Bs, or they'd exceed their Xmax at that frequency. Even so, I could turn those six woofers off and the carpet would still fly, because the Bassmaxx ZR18s were moving most of the air and they were at the extreme edges of the left and right of the frame, making it seem like the six woofers in the middle were doing the work, but that tends to be misleading. Ironically, the woofers right in front of the carpet were the ones incapable of lifting it.
I'll bet 90% of the viewers think it was the air rushing from the vents on those middle two cabinets that did the work. Nope. The EVX can't move more than about 177 cu in of air on a full stroke. Not enough to move anything.
Perhaps next week I will do another short video, with the six EVX180Bs powered down, and just the Bassmaxx drivers receiving power, to demonstrate this. I did some short bursts a few weeks ago with a sinewave 16Hz generated in SoundForge and found it to be even more effective than the organ pedal tone, because it was a pure fundamental 16Hz. But those 1/2 second bursts knocked many things off the shelves and the ceiling moved visibly. Scary!
-
January 23rd, 2007, 09:17 PM
#13
Inactive Member
Hi there...
I wanted to tell you why I canceled my e-bay bid (Item number: 230079600141). I did the first step in placing a bid but, did not hit "confirm bid". I felt uneasy and hit my back button to examine your ad again. When I did, e-bay automatically confirmed my bid without my hitting "OK". With a very close look at your ad and reading the Q&A at the bottom, I realized you were offering only one speaker for sale in this auction not a "pair" like it states at the top of your ad.
The title of your ad reads, "Altec 3184 Woofer / Loudspeaker Pair - MINT!". That states you are selling a pair of speakers in this one auction. Further in the ad it reads, "Quantity" you wrote, "2 available". This would indicate you have two pairs of speakers available for sale" (a pair is two). Later in the the ad you wrote, "These units will be properly packed in two separate cartons for safe shipping and insured for the full selling price" The ad states you are offering a pair (2) of Altec 8184's, with shipping being $44.23 for both speakers. One of the last statements in your ad was, "(PLEASE NOTE: to buy the pair, you must select "2" as the quantity. eBay seems to have no means of calculating shipping for two packages in a lot". This whole ad is extremely misleading.
Your other e-bay listing of an Altec 3184 was clearly stated (item 230073207538).
It's interesting to note: Your ad on e-bay for a single Altec 3184 had the minimum opening bid at $259.99 with a buy it now price of $270. That lot didn't get a single bid. Your next ad (for a pair of 3184's) the opening bid was listed at $270, $10.01 more that when you offered a single speaker. Considering the first auction didn't get a single bid, it makes sense you would offer a better value. To bad you didn't. It's also to bad you wrote such a misleading ad.
-
January 24th, 2007, 03:20 AM
#14
Inactive Member
I too was disappointed in the options that eBay offered for posting things in pairs that ship in separate boxes.
The problem is entirely with their shipping calculator. I cannot sell a "lot of 2 items" and have the shipping calculator accurately calculate cost for two shipments. I would have lost money on the shipping, being that the calculator would only charge the buyer for one shipment.
I posted my dilemma on the eBay forum, and after 24 hours, had no response.
Left with no better way to accomplish a pair sale that would ship in individual boxes, I listed the auction and clearly stated in the text of the auction that one must buy two drivers.
Why did I try to sell as a pair? It was suggested to me that they were worth more as a matched pair, and people wanted to buy these in pairs, not ones.
I am deeply sorry if the auction was confusing enough to mislead you into thinking you were getting a pair for $270.
As for why I set the minimum bid to $270 instead of $259 was because eBay's listing tool warned me that I cannot have a reserve price on a dutch auction. So I set the price to my reserve price as the opening bid per unit.
I hope that all makes sense.
Ebay is really a poor venue for selling specialized items like this. I will only list them singly, if I decide to relist. But perhaps I'll wait for their collector's value to increase before I decide to sell them again. The time is just not right this year. Last year I sold the other two very quickly after listing them. And 11 months before that, I listed two blown 3182s that bid up to $210 each from a $9.99 starting price. I'll patiently wait until the time is right.
-
January 24th, 2007, 07:01 AM
#15
Inactive Member
Hello again
You could do what others do, list both at the same time as two different itesm. I see that frequantly. If you hold off listing them for a little while, people will be getting thier tax refunds and you may have better luck selling you speakers at a premium price.
Good luck.
-
January 24th, 2007, 09:18 PM
#16
Senior Hostboard Member
I have seen many auctions where the seller uses single and plural terms in about equal number to describe the merchandise. It is frustrating for potential bidders if it is not clear exactly what is being offered, and I'm sure bad for the auction result as well.
-
January 24th, 2007, 11:29 PM
#17
Inactive Member
The problem with listing two separate auctions is that one incurs another listing fee, and of late, eBay has been getting expensive. I was billed $27 in listing and FVFs for auctions I ran last month, which included 2 3182s and one bridge board. That's a significant chunk, and I don't use any frills like bold headings or second line descriptions.
Yup, tax returns.. perhaps by late March, I'll relist.
-
January 25th, 2007, 02:50 AM
#18
Inactive Member
You are trying to squeeze the last penny out of what you are selling. You dont like the fees e-bay charges? Simple, don't use e-bay.
Did you see what the following items sold for on ebay?
Item number: 18006264850 2 Altec 288G-16 drivers sold for $979.99 US
Item number: 2 Altec 515B woofers Item number 180062654892 sold for $1,247.22 US
I have a bunch of 288G-16's and 515B woofers
Give me 2/3's of what these sold for and you can have all of mine. You can re-sell them and make about 50% profit. Not a bad deal, huh? How many do you want?
-
January 25th, 2007, 03:15 AM
#19
Inactive Member
Bass Pig
I'd like to apologise for my last posting, I was being a bit of a smart a$$. I should have had more respect and kept my opinions to myself.
There are three things I need to consider when posting anything.
1. Is it true? 2. Is it necessary? 3. Is it kind?
My posting failed all three. For the record, I don't want to sell any of my old Altec equipment.
Please accept my apology. Jammin Jungle Jim
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks